New Checks Affecting All Extras & SAs

Posted by William - 07 Dec 2015
From 1st January 2016 any EXTRA or Supporting Artiste supplied to work alongside under 18s on a BBC

From 1st January 2016, any Supporting Artiste supplied to work alongside under 18s on a BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 or Sky production must have a Basic Disclosure Certificate.

New Checks for Productions involving Under 18s

From 1st January 2016, all EXTRAS and Support Artistes supplied to work on productions by the BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV or Sky that involve under 18s must have obtained a Basic Disclosure Certificate to prove that they have no unspent convictions.

If you don’t have Basic Disclosure Certification you can still work with us, but you would not be eligible for roles with the production companies specified above if they involve under 18s. Getting certification will therefore mean that you can be considered for more opportunities.

Questions & Answers

How does this new check affect me?

You will need a basic disclosure certificate to work on any production commissioned by the public service broadcasters or Sky if they involved under 18s.

What is a basic disclosure certificate?

It is a document containing impartial and confidential criminal history information held by the police, which can be used to make safer recruitment decisions.

Why do I, as a Supporting Artiste, need to obtain a basic disclosure certificate?

All broadcasters and producers have very high standards when it comes to child protection, and the physical and emotional welfare of every child involved in their productions is of the highest importance. These checks will assure that all Supporting Artistes used have no unspent convictions, making the working environment safer for all.

How do I apply for a basic disclosure certificate?

An application for a basic disclosure certificate should be sent to one of the following if you live or work in:

1. England and Wales (click here)

2. Scotland (click here)

3. Northern Ireland (click here)

They cost between £25 and £26.

What information is needed to complete the application process?

You will normally need to provide 3 forms of identification to confirm your name, date of birth and current address. For example, this could include a passport or driving licence. You will also be asked to provide information from a utility bill and for your home address details covering the last 5 years.

How long does the application process take until I receive my certificate?

It usually takes around 14 calendar days for a certifiate to be issued. However, this is not guaranteed and the process could take longer.

I have a Standard or Enhanced Disclosure Certificate, can I use this?

Yes, the Standard or Enhanced Disclosure Certificates are more detailed than the Basic Disclosure Certificate so they are acceptable. Please upload the certificate to the My Documents section in your profile. Please note that you will need to select the ‘Basic Disclosure Certificate‘ option from the dropdown menu when uploading your certificate.

How often do I need to provide a certificate?

A new certificate will need to be provided every 18 months. With the individual’s consent all criminal background checks, including basic, standard and enhanced, are valid from the date of issue for 18 months for this purpose. However, if within that period you are convicted of an offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 you must notify us of this. You will also notice that wording will be included in your chits confirming that no sexual offence has been committed since the Basic Disclosure certificate was obtained, such as:

“I confirm I do not have any unspent convictions for sexual offences as contained within the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and I have never been subject to any disciplinary action or sanction relating to vulnerable groups.”

The standard and enhanced checks are only valid for 18 months from issue because producers are not able to apply for these checks for SA work. Therefore, producers are not notified of any changes to the SAs status unlike the employers who applied for the standard or enhanced check. The standard and enhanced checks are – like the basic check – a snapshot of the SAs status at one point in time.

What happens if I do not obtain a basic disclosure certificate? 

In that case, you would not be able to work on certain productions that involve under 18s. However you are still able to work on productions that do not involve under 18s, or those with production companies that do not require this certification.

What does the basic disclosure certificate look like? 

Clicking the image below will take you to a current sample certificate from Disclosure Scotland:


Can I upload a copy of the Certificate to my profile?

Absolutely, please go to the My Documents page of your profile to upload a photo or scan of your certificate. Please note that you will need to select the ‘Basic Disclosure Certificate‘ option from the dropdown menu when uploading your certificate.

If you’re an activated member, feel free to comment and discuss this topic below (please note that you must be logged in to view comments).

Disclaimer: every care has been taken to ensure that this information is correct at the time of print. If you find there to be any inaccuracies, please contact us.